When you have unfinished wood flooring in your home, you must be very careful because it is quite delicate. In fact, it is very easy for a streak to occur or a stain to fall accidentally. Cleaning is not easy, although fortunately today there are different systems to eliminate them. Thus, the word “stain” no longer means that this darker area has to stay on the unfinished wood floor for life. If you have to do this cleaning, we explain how to remove oil stains from the unfinished wood floor.
To remove oil stains from the unfinished wood floor, a good solution is to use products that you have at home and that is easy to use, such as sugar or salt. The key is that they act as if they were an exfoliant, thus reaching the smallest pore in the wood so that all the oil is removed. However, before use, it is advisable to follow some previous steps in which you will also need absorbent paper:
- Cover the oil stain with absorbent paper and wait for it to soak well. It may be necessary to change the paper several times when it is full of oil, if the stain is very large, to remove as much of the stain as possible.
- When there is less oil remaining or if the stain is small, you can lightly press the paper on the unfinished wood floor to remove more of the grease. Never rub or scrub to prevent oil from spreading.
- Take salt or sugar and put it on the oil stain.
- Gently rub the stain, but do not exceed the oil area so as not to spread the fat any further. You can use a soft bristle brush or suede to make it easier.
- When all the fat has come out, remove the remaining salt or sugar, as you have used.
- Brighten the area with a rag like when you clean the unfinished wood floor without staining.
Corn flour to remove oil stains from unfinished wood
Another very simple trick to remove oil stains from wood is to use cornmeal or cornstarch, as this product is also known. This remedy is quite effective and fast, especially when the stain falls while we are cooking because the cornmeal is very close at hand. And why corn flour and not wheat or other cereal? The answer is simple. Cornmeal has starch, which is a great fat absorber. There is no more important reason to use it. Its use is easy:
- Put cornmeal on the oil stain.
- Please wait for it to soak up. Do not rub, because this way you will only be able to spread the oil more.
- Remove the cornmeal when it is smeared with oil.
- You can repeat the process as many times as you need until the stain has gone well.
Then, you just have to remove the cornmeal and polish the unfinished wood floor.
Another of the products that are most used to remove oil stains from the unfinished wood floor is ash. It is important to take only ash and not charcoal so that the wood does not stain black and you have another additional problem to the stain. The key to the ash is that it is also absorbent, so it helps to remove any oil that may have fallen on the unfinished wood. It is essential that the ash is hot to enhance this effect. This remedy is quite effective, but it is also true that it will take longer to clean everything well:
- Take a little hot ash and put it on the oil stain.
- Let the ash work for a whole day.
- After 24 hours, remove it because it will already be completely impregnated with the stain oil.
- Wipe with a cloth to remove any residue and polish the area where the stain was.
This process to remove the oil stain can also be done with other products you have at home, such as talcum powder, which are also very absorbent. The steps to follow are the same as with ash.
Another product that is usually kept at home is vinegar. It is also quite effective in removing difficult stains from unfinished wood floors, such as oil, because it helps to catch it, especially when the wood is oak or pine. In this case, it should be used accompanied by clay:
- Mix a little clay with a few drops of vinegar.
- Put this dough on the stain.
- Please wait for it to dry completely.
- With the help of a sponge or a slightly damp cloth, remove the mixture.
- The process ends like everyone else: polishing the area.
By following these methods, we can easily remove oil stains from the unfinished wood floor.Tags: how to remove oil stains from unfinished wood floor, remove oil stains from unfinished wood floor