The musty smell is quite unpleasant and no one likes that stench left on their shoes. The problem with this type of strong odor is that they get impregnated and the longer we leave them in the shoe, the more difficult it will be to remove them later. Generally, this smell appears on clothes when they are stored in the closet for a long time or when we do not dry them properly. In the case of footwear, the musty smell can be caused mainly by excessive sweating of the feet or by the constant and daily use of a shoe. In any case, this unpleasant smell can be eliminated thanks to a series of cleaning tricks that we offer. Keep reading this article and discover how to remove the musty smell of shoes with different home remedies.
Infusion or tea bags are one of the most used tricks to eliminate this bad smell from footwear. Because they are made with plants with aromatic properties such as chamomile, thyme, or cinnamon, or with fruits with a pleasant smell such as lemon or orange, the infusion bags manage to absorb the humidity that is causing that stench in your sneakers.
- To use this remedy, you will have to let the sachets dry well (in case you used them for an infusion).
- Then you will have to put them in each shoe so that one is in the area of the toes, another few near the edges, and another by the heel of the shoe.
- Let them rest in the shoe overnight and remove them the next morning.
You can see that your shoes will no longer have that stench.
Another home remedy to eliminate bad smells is alcohol since it is a solution with antiseptic and antibacterial properties, so it helps to clean the shoe and eliminate the accumulation of bacteria that are causing that musty smell.
- Alcohol for bad odor from shoes: steps
- Fill half a bottle with water spray and the other half with alcohol.
- Shake it until the ingredients are well diluted and mixed.
- Once you have the remedy ready, spray the inside of the shoes with this lotion and then let it work for a while.
When you notice that the bad smell has been eliminated, rinse your shoes with water.
Baking soda to remove odor from footwear
Baking soda is one of the most widely used household cleaning products. However, in addition to these utilities, it is a natural remedy to eliminate that musty smell of our footwear. On the one hand, it has antibacterial and neutralizing properties that eliminate the accumulation of microorganisms that cause this stench. It has antiseptic properties that help to clean and disinfect the inside of the shoes.
- To use this remedy, you just have to sprinkle the inside of the shoes with baking soda until they are well covered.
- Let the baking soda work overnight to absorb moisture and odor from your shoes.
- The next morning, remove the baking soda by shaking the shoes and you will have them without that unpleasant smell.
Another of the best home remedies to remove the musty smell of shoes is lavender. It is an ideal medicinal plant that removes pestilence from footwear since it has excellent aromatic properties that will absorb bad odors and leave a pleasant perfume on them.
- To use this cleaning trick, you will simply have to cut a few sprigs of lavender and put them inside your shoes.
- Leave them inside overnight and remove them the next morning when you put them on.
- You can see that it has left an excellent aroma in your sneakers and your shoes will no longer smell musty.
Lemon is a fruit that stands out for its acidic flavor and the excellent aroma of its peels, making them very suitable for the musty smell of shoes. In addition to having a good smell, the shells have antiseptic properties that help clean shoes to prevent this.
- Peel a lemon, making sure that the peels contain the whitish part (since it is the one that will absorb the bad smell).
- Please put them in your shoes, leaving them to work overnight.
The next morning you will notice that the shoe has been free of any unpleasant odor and impregnated with the characteristic smell of lemons.