Cockroaches are a type of insect that loves dirt. As much as we keep the home clean. Sometimes the remains of food or garbage without taking out a couple of days can play a trick on us. If there is a room in our house in which this can happen, it is, without a doubt, the kitchen.
It is the place where we cook, mix smells, leave remains on the stove. Sometimes in the hood, on the counter, in the sink, or of course, under furniture and appliances. It is also usually the place where we keep garbage of all kinds, and in many cases also where we eat. Therefore, where you can find more remains is on the ground.
All this makes our kitchen a vulnerable place for us and, at the same time, perfect for cockroaches. It is the optimal site for its reproduction. Strict cleaning is always the best prevention. But if despite everything, these bugs have already paid you the first visit, heed these tips to effectively eliminate cockroaches in the kitchen.
Where in the kitchen do cockroaches hide?
The first thing you have to know to be able to end them is where they are . Cockroaches enter houses through pipes, doors and windows, wiring or, in any case, a hole that communicates your house with the outside or with the infected house of a neighbor. This gives us a clue to the places they like to hang out the most: humid, dirty, small and dark areas .
For this reason, cockroaches are usually hidden in cracks or holes that we have in walls and floors, in garbage bags, in a hole that we have forgotten in the closet or even in the frame of doors and windows. In the kitchen, the most common is to find them next to the garbage can, under the appliances, in the bottoms of cabinets or in the entrances to a terrace or a laundry room.
The best remedy is not to have to put it
Now that we know where they are or where they can be, we have two action points. The first, obviously, is prevention. If you live in an area prone to cockroaches inhabiting it or you believe that your home meets the ideal conditions for them (humidity, heat, careless cleaning, etc.), the best thing you can do is not wait to have the problem.
How do we prevent their arrival? Let’s think about our kitchen.
All suspicious places must be sealed and clean. We’ll start with the sink. Putting a plug in the drain can help if there are roaches in your pipes. They do not cross the fine line that separates their world from yours.
- The taps, for example, are also an important element to consider. It is necessary to avoid any breakage or leakage. That is, that there are no leaks and that the water flows normally. They also sell faucet plugs, which will not only help you avoid unwanted visits, but will also save water if you have a problem with the installation.
- On the other hand, remember that most of the time cockroaches visit your home because they have a reason to do so. Something has caught their attention and they want to be part of it. That is where we can most prevent it. In the kitchen, avoid that after handling food and consuming it, there is some type of remains, crumbs, or even empty containers for a long time.
- Roaches are very attracted to sugar, and most of the foods we eat today carry it. Any small remnant that may seem insignificant to you, seems like a delicacy to them.
- Finally, remember to seal the garbage well at night and remove it before it spends too many hours in your house.
The best defense, a good attack
If these insects finally make their way into your kitchen, don’t worry, you can kill them. You will just need a little patience and a few tricks. First of all, go through all the cleaning and conditioning steps we’ve discussed above.
It is very important that they do not continue to enter more so that a small problem does not become an uncontrollable plague, and in addition, cleaning the area and covering holes also serves to prevent them from considering your kitchen a favorable place. And now, how do we get rid of cockroaches? Believe it or not, in your own kitchen you can find quite a few things that they love. For example, sugar drives them crazy, and you probably have a fruit, a lump, or some food like yogurt or any candy that you can use to set them up. It’s a good way to get their attention if you want to kill them, but don’t know where they are.
- You can make a trap with any container that you fill with water and where you introduce this food since they will go to it but they will die drowning. You can also use coffee, another smell that they love.
- There are endless home remedies to eliminate cockroaches, but if you have arrived too late and yours is a plague, it is best to call a specialist in the elimination of insects, since cockroaches can increase their number very quickly while they remain unnoticed, and then they are very difficult to eliminate.
- Conventional sprays, also known as insecticides, can be found in any supermarket or small-town store, but they are not all advantages. Although its handling is simple and they are quite effective in its direct application to cockroaches, its toxic components are also toxic for humans and animals, so that family members and their pets will also breathe a product that is harmful to health.
- However, many stores also sell bait traps, which are very effective in eliminating them in places where they are concentrated, such as in the kitchen.
- Baking soda is easy to find in all common kitchen pantries. Well, it is pure poison for them. Mix them with an ingredient that they like and you will get your poison trap.
- Boric acid is probably the most powerful chemical for its elimination. However, for its treatment, you will need gloves to prevent it from rubbing the skin. And you should pay special attention to the most vulnerable who live at home. That is, pets and children should be kept out of their reach.
These are a few solutions to eliminate cockroaches in the kitchen. Although we insist that the best way to avoid unwanted tenants is good prevention. When it comes to removing them, however, we have a host of gels, sprays, electrical repellants, and traps.Tags: How to get rid of cockroaches in kitchen, How to get rid of cockroaches in kitchen cabinets